A Sad day for us in Canada, and who knows elsewhere!

Rich Caloggero rjc at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 30 20:14:49 EST 2002

Making audio books is a very labor intensive process. Think how long it
takes to read a book aloud. Then think about how much time and effort it
takes to do this well. Then think about doing this for one million books
each year (or whatever the number of new books published is per year - some
rediculous number). This quickly becomes unmanagable. However, for many many
people, this is the only way to get such information. In the US, I believe
we have on the order of one to two million audio books all told in our
entire NLS (national library service for the Blind and Physically
Handicapped) system.
To be optomistic, when text to speech technology matures, computers may do
more of this reading. However, I still don't know how emotional content will
be conveyed audibly via TTS. This will require much more semantic analysis
of language, something which simply isn't possible and probably won't be any
time soon. In the next five years, text to speech will probably mature to a
point where inflection will be synthesized to some extent, but reading an
entire book is so much more enjoyable when it is read propperly. Listening
to large amounts of computer generated speech really fatigues me. I don't
see this changing in any real way in the next five years.

Just my opinion...

                    Rich Caloggero