A Sad day for us in Canada, and who knows elsewhere!

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Wed Jan 30 17:31:20 EST 2002

It is truely a sad day. Of course I still wonder why the either or
syndrom? I don't normally listen to books, but have enjoyed listening to a
couple my roomie has (she is blind not me). If the books are read well
then perhaps some of the cost could be recovered by making the same
recording available to sighted people. Not to mention that I know of
several who would listen to more books if they were not often abridged.

I think it is time to call our governments into partnerships. The truth is
that there is a secondary market developing for many of the same
technologies that assist the blind. The most logical thing to me would be
to support development of the technology hoping that it can also find its
way into a secondary market of sighted people. If in partnership the cost
could be recouped to spend on the next thing to be developed.

The same should go for electronic books. I fail to see why there isn't a
huge effort to make the same titles available to the sighted world in the
same basic format.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

Nowlan's Theory:
        He who hesitates is not only lost, but several miles from
        the next freeway exit.