What I did on my summer holidays.

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Mon Jan 28 00:21:55 EST 2002

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Kirk Wood wrote:

> The first, is that the embossing seems most
> wastefull. While expansive, I feel they should move to refreshable
> braille. This would allow the student to carry the entire text book as
> sigted students do.

The problem with refreshable braille is the economics.  You can't get a
device with a braille display here in Australia for under 6 thousand.  Then
again, I guess comparing this to the money saved doing braille production
... well maybe.  though I've got to say, I'm not sure that I'd be too keen
to read all my books 1 line at a time, as opposed to one page at a time as
with regular books.  I'd hate to try and get the jist of a diagram using a
1-line display.

Geoff.