What I did on my summer holidays.

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Sun Jan 27 23:11:21 EST 2002

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Janina Sajka wrote:
> Part of the problem is that creating braille or tape versions is generally
> a "one-off" done by hand from a printed page. Not very efficient. What
> we're trying to eingineer with NISO/DAISY, and with our participation in
> the OEBF, is access to the underlying text in a well-marked-up XML (or
> SGML). If we can get publishers to:
>
> 1.)	Use good markup;
> 2.)	Allow us to build a server-based delivery system;

So is there anything to prevent agencies already doing braille translation
from the publisher files to put their work out in DAISY format? Having
helped some with the group that does most of the textbooks for k-12 in
this area, I can tell how they do it. They get the text book in electronic
format. They also get two copies of the book in print and correction
sheets.

They then have sigted people ensure that any corrections from the sheets
are marked in the print versions. They translate the braille from the
electronic version. One of the print books is available to the translator
to ensure that formatting is correct. The other goes to the proof
reader. Then the book is embossed.

Two come to mind here. The first, is that the embossing seems most
wastefull. While expansive, I feel they should move to refreshable
braille. This would allow the student to carry the entire text book as
sigted students do.

The second thing is that I find it bothersome that the same can't be done
in other situations. The small group near me translates well over 100
texts a year. Most of this is done in a matter of 4 months. It astounds
(and saddens) me that given this ability, more books aren't
available. I hope that the DAISY format can perhaps speed this up and
perhaps work toward having most books available to the blind comunity.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

Nowlan's Theory:
        He who hesitates is not only lost, but several miles from
        the next freeway exit.