What I did on my summer holidays.

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Mon Jan 28 11:37:08 EST 2002

The problem with current publisher files is that they're mostly in Quark,
which is heavy on look and feel, and very low on structure. Fortunately,
this is not just our problem, it's also a problem for the publisher who
wants to maintain one set of source documents versionable for multiple
output modalities such as print and ebooks. Hence, we work with the Open E
Book Forum (http://www.openebook.org;

As to the focus on hardcopy braille, I agree with you. The emphasis must
be on efiles which can be shared and can generate hardcopy braille,
refreshable braille, synthetic speech, large-print, etc., etc. AFB is also
working on this, and we have very good news. We have an agreement with the
publishing industry on how to move forward on this, and it includes a new
law in the U.S. that we think will work for us, and that the publishers
believe will work for them as well. To learn more go to:

	http://www.tsbvi.edu/textbooks/afb/index.htm