question for the list.

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Sun Jan 27 22:53:10 EST 2002

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Raul A. Gallegos wrote:

> Patching the
> kernel is easy now-a-days.  All you do is make sure you have cvs
> installed on the box and download the checkout script from speakup ftp
> site.

I wouldn't encourage this approach as a blanket method for enabling speakup
support.  CVS is fine *if* (1) you know what you're doing and (2) you are
sure of the state of CVS.  CVS is where all development takes place.  sure
it will have the latest features, but it will also have the latest bugs.
This is particularly important when you consider that it runs in the
kernel.  A broken speakup may cause the kernel to not compile or not run
properly when booted.

In other words, CVS is not for everybody.  I recommend getting the tarballs
for general kernel patching and only use CVS when you know its safe to do
so or if you're prepared for it to die in a screaming heep.

Geoff.