On the subject of ease of use....

Georgina gena at gena-j.net
Tue Jan 22 14:21:15 EST 2002

Hi

WEll on the subject of ease of use, I believe that it is down to perception of
the user.  Windows users have to remember keyboard shortcuts for both the OS
and the screen reader.  Even with the pull-down menus, support lists are
frequently asked how to access something that is easily found.  Blind people
have to attempt to gain a spatial understanding of the screen's layout.  I
think that the obscession to use the GUI is to feel that it brings an equal
access but this is sadly an illusion as if the program doesn't have keyboard
shortcuts then we're stuffed.

Since January 1st I've been using Linux to deal with my e-mail because of the
number of attempts to infect my PC with the Bad trans virus, or whatever it
was called.  Anyway, I find that I can deal with mail a lot quicker under
Linux then I can with Windows.

When you consider that to exit many programs you press the letter "q" or "x"
which is a lot easier than alt + F4.

I've also discovered a simple but great menu program which can easily make
Linux even easier than Windows as it does work by pressing shortcuts (Letters
of the alphabet), arrow keys and the return key.  This menu system is called
pdmenu, check it out.

The bash shell shouldn't be
compared with DOS because they are worlds apart.  The history buffer, auto
complete and long filename support make it superior and far more blind friendly.

Don't get me wrong, Windows provides better OCR support and perhaps the
internet but this is how it is now, who knows what the future might bring.

Gena