HD now okay but no CDROM

Georgina gena at gena-j.net
Tue Jan 22 10:19:02 EST 2002

Hi

Well this looks similar to my problems when I upgraded my motherboard to the
I-Will KK266 Plus R.  I had to get a sighted person to install Slackware 8
using the ata100 disk image.  To install Debian, I had to install by using a
custom built 2.2.18 kernel.  Using an IDE patch from the kernel archive.  I
feel that you'll find the necessary support in the 2.4.* series as there are
the American Megtrends stuff for this board and I've seen the Promise
controllers too.  I'd suggest that you go into Windblows and read the listings
in the device manager to see what controllers have been installed for the
chipsets used on the board.  I'm sure that you'll be saved a lot more pain by
establishing the chipsets and motherboard in this machine.

I'm happily using my CD Roms on /dev/hda-d and my hard disks on /dev/hde-h
Although, I'm still working through these issues.  I've had trouble with
installing lilo too as it couldn't see the mbr but this may be resolved now
I'm using the 2.4.16 kernel.
Gena