HD now okay but no CDROM

Pete persuric at ameritech.net
Tue Jan 22 08:49:31 EST 2002

  Chuck
  If I am not misstaken the udma/ata controllers support upto 4 devices on
each ide channel for a total of 8 drives.  You really need to find out
whitch is the primary channel and use it for the hard drives one set as
master and other set as slave.  Put the cdrom on the secondary channel and
set as master.  Some mother boards have 4 40 pin ide conecters is this what
you have? or just 2 40 pin conecters.
  Also the ata ide ribbon has 80 wires in it instead of the normal ide cable
having 40 wires. check this as well.  The ata ribbon has one 40 pin conecter
a different collor then the other two conecters, it is the one that goes to
the ide conecter on the mother board and the remaining two go to the two
hard drives you are attaching/conecting/installing.  Just geusing it sounds
like you might have the hard drives on the secondary and the cdrom on the
primary instead of the other way around.  To be on the safe side check both
hard drive jumpers settings along whith the jumper on the cdrom.  Some hard
drive manufactures have another jumper to set if you are using more than one
drive, hopefully not the case.
  Good luck!
  Pete