HD now okay but no CDROM

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Tue Jan 22 06:43:21 EST 2002

Hi people -

We have continued to work on Londa's Slackware installation from
time to time and have made some progress. The new HD is now
correctly jumpered as a slave device, but in order to detect
either the original HD or the new one we had to use the ata100.i
bootdisk instead of bare.i, and the four devices now seem to use
the letters 'e' through 'h' instead of 'a' through 'd'. The first
four letters are no longer visible, which means our CDROM which
was once reported at /dev/hdc is no longer visible.

If anyone has found any shortcuts to work around this problem we
would sure appreciate knowing about them. The system to which we
are adding Linux is in heavy daily use since Londa moderates a
couple of active discussion lists in the Windows environment, so
we have only occasional access to the system.

The ata100.i bootdisk is not just differently configured from
bare.i, but it is a patched kernel, which will challenge us when
it comes time to reconfigure or add further patches or upgrade.
Does anyone know offhand whether the 2.4 kernel series supports
UDMA or UATA more directly? This is the first time I have had to
deal with a machine that has been so strongly optimized for
Windows and we both have a lot to learn here.

Thanks for any help... Chuck

Visit me at http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh
The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)