Will Redhat Become a Division of AOL Time-Warner?

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Mon Jan 21 10:09:48 EST 2002

You say that pressing control alt f1 drops you to a bash prompt.  What
about logging in? Do you have to login through this X environment first?
Could you have a different console come up with a different run level to
give you a command style login and shell?  From what I recall about
initab, you could have a different run level for each console (at least
under slackware).  I think the init/inittab stuff is generic - non
specific to distributions, right?