Will Redhat Become a Division of AOL Time-Warner?

Thomas Ward tward at bright.net
Sun Jan 20 19:42:20 EST 2002

Lol! That is funny. Actually, Red Hat 7.2 by default loads the gui, and when
you log in you are dropped on a Gnome 1.4 desktop which is nice. Since my
family likes the gui on start up I leave it that way.
However, a alt+control+f1 sets me right, and gets me into a bash prompt to
get some work done.
So it is no big deal if Linux os's such as Mandrake 8.1 or Red Hat 7.2 it is
set to runlevel 5. One key stroke and you are in bash.
I think you are right though. Linux is at a critical point. Big companies
like IBM are taking Linux serious, and many of home users are peed off at
they way MS puts in their security for XP.
Now is the time to start proving the os for what it can do. However,
Mandrake and Red Hat are good distributions for the average home user. After
most of them can't even reinstall MS Windows which is easy. How could they
even think about Slackware which requires a little knolege of system files
etc.