Update: was Slackware 8.0 install error

Gregory Nowak gnowak1 at uic.edu
Sun Jan 20 15:23:32 EST 2002

Are you sure you wrote the color.gz image to the disk? It sounds to me based on your error messages that you may have writen the umsdos.gz image, which is not what you want in your case.
As for making sure the disk is empty, the entire disk doesn't need to be empty, but you do need a part of it to be empty so that you can create a Linux partition.
If your windows partition takes up the entire drive, you will need to resize it with parted or fips for DOS, or some other comercial programs. This discussion was covered on this list in grate detail in the past, and should be archived.
Greg