Problems with pdf files.

David Poehlman poehlman1 at home.com
Thu Jan 17 06:33:52 EST 2002

I'm not certain I understand this message.  If I understand it correctly
though, what you are saying is that first, we may have a case under the
truth in advertising laws here in the us and that we may also have a
case if pdf is picked up as an accessible solution by the correct 508
covered entity.  I can see the first one working only if we can
establish that they are not telling us that pdf is now accessible under
the following circumstances but if it is only said to be accessible.

The covered entity under 508 would certainly need to consider carefully
before placing themselves in the untenable position under the right
circumstances of providing pdf as their response to meeting the
requirements of section 508 if they intend to feed their information out
to the public or have users who are not going to be able to get on board
with the appropriate tools due to the entities over sight or because of
the network/platform...

Now, there is something else to consider.  Let's say that a 508 covered
entity is looking at document delivery inside the agency and let's say
that they are happily running an accessible network with windows.95
machines being used by users with jfw 3.5, the same level of window eyes
and some other tools and that all is on as much of a par as possible and
they do not plan to make any changes to the rest of their it but they
have this conundrum.  In order to meet 508, they have to spend all this
money to fit jaws for windows or window eyes latest versions into their
systems because they have decided to adopt pdf as their accessible
electronic format and did not realize this.  Now, let's say that the
decision can be called back.  If it can, they may claim an undue burden
in it resources, cost, job downtime training etc and their solution
would then be incorrectly that they have no accessible solution.  Let's
suppose though that they go ahead with the plan to use pdf.  Gee, we
have to spend or find or some how acquire all this resource to make
these changes for these workers because of our decision.  I think this
is a miss use of tax dollars and should be treated as such.  We have
several grounds we can go with folks.