suggestions for Speakup

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Fri Jan 11 23:08:10 EST 2002

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Thomas Ward wrote:

> For example while in pine it reads the prier email subject and then the
> current one. I'd much rather see that quark be fixed rather than search
> features, exception dictionaries, etc.

I assume this is when you arrow or use n and p to move through the index,
but you didn't say so I'm having to guess here.  This is because pine is
defaulted to show the selected message in a different type to all the
others, and thus it has to rewrite the prior entry before highlighting the
new one.  This is a common problem in many applications.

As an aside, I have "assume slow link" on which doesn't use such
highlighting, it just uses a greaterthan symbol to point out the current
message.  Although, if you're relying on prev and next to give you the
subject, this won't help you as it doesn't have to reprint the subject
anymore.  This doesn't personally bother me as I use speakup's reviewkeys
to read the index and just enter the message number of the message I want
(made easier with enable jump shortcut).

Geoff.