Web Browsers with Javascript?

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Thu Jan 3 17:13:29 EST 2002

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Janina Sajka wrote:

> I keep wanting to understand this. Why do they think it's hot? What about
> js is so hot?

<shrug> I think it's because web developers feel, quite rightly, that they
have greater control over the web browser that's rendering the page.  Also,
a lot of people quite annoyingly want to open pages in a new browser
window, for some reason which is beyond my understanding.

A big appeal for anyone writing web pages is that you don't need to worry
about the capabilities of the webserver when writing pages with javascript.
I mean, if I have a page up on a site and I want to use CGI or PHP scripts,
I need to find out if these are available.  PHP is less of a headache as
the files can just be put in with the rest of the site, but it still needs
to be available on the server.  javascript has no such requirements of the
server ... it just requires stuff of the client, which we all know about.

Geoff.