adding speakup to server distros

brian Moore admin at bmoore.yi.org
Wed Jan 2 04:10:20 EST 2002

Greetings all.  Has anyone been successful at adding speakup to any of
the pre-built server linux distros?  I am currently using a program
called sme server formerly e-smith from Mitel.  http://www.e-smith.org
to run my network at home and provide mail, ftp, etc for my domain.  I
realize I could use standard distros to do the same  thing but I am not
good enough yet to get all the services running securely as well as
achieve the same functionality I have with one of these server distros
in a production environment.

I would love to add speakup to the sme server distribution which I am
using now.  it is based on redhat 7.0 but is using kernel 2.2.197.08
which is not the standard kernel shipping with redhat 7.0  In theory, I
could get ethe source dor tis kernel which  I have and apply speakup
patches to the tree and recompile and just replace my vmlinuz file but
I don't know about moduel dependancies andthings and would probably
break a bunch of things.  has anyone else ever attemptedto compile
speakup into a server distribution.  I would be willing to switch from
mitel sme server to have this ability since I tend to reinstall
machines regularly and speakup would be a wonderful addition.

if anyone has done this or has any idea about how this could be
accomplished with either this distribution or something like clark
connect or some other distro, I would appreciate hearing from you.

thanks.  Brian.