RawWrite for windows

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Mon Feb 18 12:34:07 EST 2002

By "screen that wanted the mount point" do you mean the partitioning
part of the installation? It's probably the trickiest part of the
installation especially for someone unfamiliar with linux and linux
terminology. Unfortunately, the Redhat partitioning tool, diskdruid, is
not as speech friendly as it probably should be, thus compounding the
dificulty for a new user.

On the positive side, if you're happy letting the installation program
make decisions for you (we might call this the Microsoft approach), you
can select "automatic" and things will be done as the routines determine.

If, however, you want to make your own partitioning decisions, you will
need to indicate at least the "slash" mount point -- / -- in order to
proceed. You are strongly advised to spend some time becoming familiar
with partitioning. The Redhat installation guide is very good on this--and
it includes advice on keystrokes, not just mouse clicks.

Essentially, there are two parts to the diskdruid main screen. From the
speech users perspective, these are reached sequentially by tab/alt-tab.
Actually, these two parts consist of a list of existing partitions as
defined so far, and a sequence of action buttons one can select by
pressing enter as one tabs around. These buttons have names like "new,"
"edit," "delete," etc. When you're on these buttons, all you can do is
press enter to initiate that particular activity, or tab to the next, or
alt-tab to the previous button. Pressing enter brings up a new screen--a
subsidiary screen--which guides one through the action. More about that in
a moment.

So, how do you know when you've tab'd to the list of defined partitions?
Speakup won't say anything in particular to tell you you've reached that
list. Instead, here's how you can know. As you tab, you eventually come to
a button that says "back." When you hear "back" for the first time, tab
once more. You'll hear speakup say "back" again. You are now on the list
and can use down arrow (you'll always start at the top of the list) and
then up arrow to move u through this list. Be careful to use speakup's
"read current line" key, the number 8 key on the numeric keypad, to
ascertain that you're actually on the partition you mean to be on before
editing or deleting it.

Now for a brief word on the subsidiary screens. Some are quite simple,
others are not. The edit screen, for example, will first give an edit
field where the mount point for this partition is to be specified. This is
where you type '/', or '/usr', or '/home', my personal list of the three
critical partitions to specify separately--but that's yet another story.
The thing to know is that you use tab and alt-tab in these screens to work
your way through the various options. Use the screen review features of
speakup often to understand what's happening. The #8 key is your friend.
And, if you explore with other keys, remember that the enter key on the
numeric keypad will return the speakup cursor to the real cursor--the
place you actually are in this form. Check boxes, by the way, are selected
and unselected using the spacebar. You'll know you're on a check box
because you'll hear [*] when that checkbox is selected, and [ ] when it
isn't.

Hope this helps.