So much Windows Mailer crap on this list...

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Fri Feb 1 08:54:57 EST 2002

some suggestions that should make things more bareable with minimal fus:

1. Yes, if using outlook, please, please turn off HTML messages.  Sorry,
don't remember exactly which options to set but it is doable and I've done
it before in the past.  At work, I have outlook set to create plain
text messages by default.

2. for Pine users until the outlook stuff gets cleaned up, there is
something you can do to make the impact of HTML minimal.  Go into Pine's
setup options and change settings.  Enable the 'prefer-plain-text' option;
this will put plain text portions first and cause the reader to go through
less noise to get to the message body.  There's still a couple lines
mentioning the other part but I find it to be a lot better.

3. Another deal is the character sets.  I sure wish pine could offer an
option to turn this off.  If as many people as possible can do this, set
your default character set to iso-8859-1.  If everyone does this, we won't
get those three bothersome lines at the top of the message.  I do realize
there are international folks who lagitimately use other char sets but at
least the windows-12343 or whatever would go away.

Just some ideas.