moving or copying speakup-JFW.map

Edward L. Barnes ebarnes at enigma2.cjb.net
Tue Aug 20 16:50:23 EDT 2002

Hi there, as a follow-up to Janina's note in reply to Angus I figured
that I should mention to Angus that if dons2unix and or unix2dos aren't
present you'll need to install them using Red Hat's package manager,
rpm, of course, if you had an experienced linux user help you who was
ware of the fact that you were dual booting with windows and who
recommended the custom installation or a full install you got both
packages, however; if you went with something like server and picked all
package groups or you went with something like laptop or workstation
which incidentally thw howto re speakup modified Red hat doesn't
recommend you probably don't have either of these packages.
To install these packages you could do something like these commands.
mount your cd-rom with a command like:
mount /mnt/cdrom
cd /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS
Then, install the packages with something like:
rpm -iv dos2unix*
or
rpm -iv unix2dos*
RPM is very useful so as someone who is new having there very own rh
system to use and learn from you might find it helpful in the long-term
to familiarize yourself with rpm.
And, if you've not already figured it out, some commands like rpm and
many of its options, mount, etc, are indispensible so familiarizing
yourself with these early will most certainly prove benificial to you.
I hope this note was helpful and that you enjoy learning Red Hat and
linux generally, good luck, and for now I'm out of here, I need coffee !

Ed Barnes
Harbour Grace, Newfoundland, Canada
home phone +1-709-596-3165
e-mail and msn messenger id ebarnes at enigma2.cjb.net
********
"There is a fantasy in Redmond that Microsoft products are innovative, but
this is based entirely on a peculiar confusion of the words 'innovative'
and 'successful.' Microsoft products are successful -- they make a lot of
money -- but that doesn't make them innovative, or even particularly
good." -ROBERT X. CRINGELY
********