moving or copying speakup-JFW.map

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Tue Aug 20 15:45:53 EDT 2002

Hi, Angus:

First, congradulations on getting Red Hat with Speakup working on your
computer.

Some quick tips:

You can mount a vfat partition in Linux. That means that you can make your
Windows files readable and writable in a directory under linux, though you
cannot execute applications directly.

To do so, create a mount point, meaning a directory -- perhaps something
like "winfiles" like this:

mkdir winfiles

Now, you can mount a partition to that directory. First you need to know
what partition holds the files you want. Do you know? Is it FAT32? I'll
guess that it's the first partition and that you use fat32. Your command
becomes:

mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 winfiles

Of course, adjust to conform to the facts on your system.
Learn more by reading about mount:

man mount

Remember, also, that dos2unix is a command for converting dos format text
files to unix format:

dos2unix [file.name]

And there's a unix2dos to go the other way, too.

Now, there's great documentation to get you going. The tail end of our
HOWTO has some suggestions. Read the section called "Now What?."

Also, look at the Red Hat Getting Started Guide at:

http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/howto/rhl73.html

Remember, the Getting Started Guide will walk you through many tasks. Skip
the parts about GNOME and KDE, because you can't use them yet. Go to the
parts about shell and command access.

Remember, you can have multiple consoles open. This is extremely handy.
It's a bit like Alt-TAB in Windows, but better. Use Alt plus any of the
first six function keys, F1, F2, F3, F4, F5, and F6, and login. You can go
back and forth between these consoles all day long, meaning you can keep
the guide op[en in one, while you try things out in another.