More ppp stuff.

Ron Marriage marriage at seidata.com
Tue Aug 6 06:54:24 EDT 2002

To see if you are actually connected you could do a ping of
their system.
just type
ping domain.com
substitute domain.com with the actual name of your provider.
You will get a series of responses back if you are actually
connected.
Do a Control-c to stop the pings.

You can transfer to their site by typing

ssh domain.com
again substitute your ISP for domain.com
If your ISP runs a special shell then they will give you the
exact name but it might be something like
ssh shell.domain.com
You'll be asked for your ID and password so have those
handy.

Once in you will either get a menu or a prompt from their
system.
If you only get a prompt you can browse the internet by
typing

lynx
then enter

if you want to view your mail on their system type

pine
then enter

If you are running a full version of linux then you can try
to type
lynx
at your command line and if you have it installed, a good
chance you do, then you will be able to surf the web from
your own system.
If you can use pine on their system do so for a bit, while
you readup on fetchmail and then later set up your own
system to get your mail from the ISP and keep the mail on
your own computer.

Ron

--
===