file encryption options under GNU/Linux

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Wed Apr 17 00:53:02 EDT 2002

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Gregory Nowak wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I looked at my howtos and mini-howtos directories, but didn't find any
> info on this. Can I use something to encrypt files under GNU/Linux?
> I've heard about doing something like encrypting a file as part of an
> mp3 file, but I don't want anything like that. I just want a
> stand-alone encrypted file. Is this possible, and if so, then how is
> it done and are there any docs on it? I used to use Mcafee fortress
> that came with nuts and bults for this under windblows. Thanks in
> advance for any help. Greg

Hi Greg,

I'd recommend pgp, it's really secure, I mean *really* secure,
go to:
http://www.pgp.com/
Make sure you go to .com and not .org, hehehe, you get some community site
in Texas.  Also, PGP will integrate with Pine and other things, so you can
send encripted files to others, once you've gsent them your key that is.
The only thing is, you may want to read up on public key cryptography if
you haven't done so already, neat system imho.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808