file encryption options under GNU/Linux

Gregory Nowak gnowak1 at uic.edu
Wed Apr 17 00:12:39 EDT 2002

Hi all,

I looked at my howtos and mini-howtos directories, but didn't find any info on this. Can I use something to encrypt files under GNU/Linux? I've heard about doing something like encrypting a file as part of an mp3 file, but I don't want anything like that. I just want a stand-alone encrypted file. Is this possible, and if so, then how is it done and are there any docs on it? I used to use Mcafee fortress that came with nuts and bults for this under windblows. Thanks in advance for any help.
Greg