the final scoop on downloading from bookshare with lynx

Ann Parsons akp at eznet.net
Mon Apr 15 10:11:38 EDT 2002

Hi all,

I must agree with Cheryl here.  The issue is one of philosophy.  I am
disappointed and chagrinned at the fact that Universal Access was not
made the first priority when the project was started.

I can understand that a specific and specialized unpack tool and a
specialized reader for the copyrighted books was necessary, but the
site itself doesn't have to be the way it is.    The site itself is
busy and confusion and frankly a bit unorganized.   Unfortunately,
when it was in beta, I was unable to access it because I was without a
computer.

If I were running that site, I'd do two things.  First, I'd put all
the links at the bottom.  Second, I'd put maybe five links at the
bottom, not thirty! Then, I'd put the public domain books in a
separate section from the copyrighted books, in fact, if they were
really spiffy, they'd inquire of Michael Hart if they could become a
mirror site for Gutenberg.

However, I can't make them implement these changes.  I will say again,
though, that the basic philosophy which ignores universal access is my
main problem with this site.

Ann P.

--
			Ann K. Parsons