the final scoop on downloading from bookshare with lynx

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at chartermi.net
Mon Apr 15 00:47:59 EDT 2002

Hello, Peter and lists.
Thank you for responding to my questions, Peter.
Whether these file settings work or not for all lynx users, to have them
prominently placed as suggestions of something to try would certainly be an
improvement on what you have on the site right now for lynx users--nothing! I
really strongly suggest that you post them prominently, with a link that says
something like "suggestions for lynx users".
I also strongly suggest that you post something prominently on your website
saying that copyrighted files are not yet accessible to anybody but windows
users. A great deal of my time has been wasted today and in days past because
you have nothing posted about lynx and no explanation of the inaccessibility of
your copyrighted files. I'm sure you like to make good use of your time; so do
I.
Without these suggestions and disclaimers your website is misleading, as it is
possible to download at least the first demo "little lord Fauntleroy" with no
modifications to one's setup. Based on this success, had i not tried actual
searching and downloading, I might have signed up and payed $75. Even had this
money been refundable, it would have been a tremendous waste of my time, a
possible clerical snarl for you and just plain bad public relations.
I'm glad we can at least access public domain books but, frankly, there are
other places where I can get public domain books and some of those websites are
friendlier than yours. the copyrighted books are the major draw for people, as
i'm sure you know.
Re: the unavailability of the unpacking tool in anything but windows, I find it
puzzling that you designed your website, not so that as many people as possible
could use it as soon as possible, but only for one particular OS. You say that
those of us using mac and linux are important, but I feel that we are really an
afterthought.
While I appreciate your replying to my posts, I find the attitude of bookshare's
creators and maintainers toward accessibility issues to be sadly narrow and
uninformed, and i find your failure to post whatever information you have for
those not using windows unacceptable. Also, at the point where you did not
really understand that other than windows users could not access the copyrighted
books, silence on the issue was understandable. but if indeed you know and are
telling me that it is presently of no benefit to me to pay for the use of
bookshare, as copyrighted files are inaccessible, not to post this on your site
is at the very least negligence. I and others on the blinux and speakup lists
will be watching for such a clear disclaimer to appear.
I don't know you personally and have nothing against you personally, but the
tone of this letter is definitely meant to be harsh. I am extremely disappointed
in and angry about bookshare's poor handling of important accessibility issues
and
failure to diseminate vital information to non-windows users.

Cheryl Homiak