gnu/linux distros, was: Re: flame wars?

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Mon Apr 1 11:39:35 EST 2002

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Gregory Nowak wrote:

> Since you're a gnu/linux veteran, at the risk of starting a distro
> war, may I ask if you have a favorate distro? If so, which one and
> why. Thanks.

Well, I've used Slackare and Redhat.  My personal favourite is Slackware,
every time, because I find it easier to configure.  Now I know that people
will say that Redhat as Linuxconf etc, but in terms of manipulating the
startup scripts etc by hand, Slackware is the one.  Also, linuxconf has
had its security problems and I don't like tools like that that edcit a
load of files and I can't necessarily quickly and easily work out what
they're doing.  However, I do recognise that Redhat has its place.  For
example, I do believe that if I were starting from scratch again, I would
possibly go for Redhat, because of its ease of use for the beginner.
However, Redhat has also had, in its past several library compatibility
issues, particularly 5.0 and 5.1.  Redhat is also useful in a corporate
environment because it's probably easier to support on a large-scale
basis.  However, if you like to play like I do, then Slackware is the best
choice imho.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808