gnu/linux distros, was: Re: flame wars?

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Mon Apr 1 11:41:58 EST 2002

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Alex Snow wrote:

> My linux box isn't up yet, but I already have a favorite: debian.  It only
> takes up 1 cd, has the lowest minimum requirements I know.  I will also use
> slackware (zipspeak) temperarily until I can get a 500 meg hd for the 486
> I'm going to put linux on.

Slackare also takes up 1 cd, unless you want all the sources, the cd-based
file system image, and all the extra sunsite goodies.  Also, suggest you
read lowmem.txt in the root of the Slackware linux cd, although it says
there are no garantees, Linux can still come up with 4 mb of ram, I've
tried it.

Also, of course, I'm pretty sure that Slackware is the oldest distro
around.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808