questions

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Mon Apr 1 10:00:18 EST 2002

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Monty Lilburn wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Igor Gueths wrote:
>
> >Hi. How can I delete a user account? I have several user accounts on this box that are no longer used.
> > I tried adduser --remove user and that didn't work. Would anyone have  any  suggestions on this?
>

> Igor:
>
> I have noticed that several of your posts to this list involve getting
> help for linux commands and linux command sintax.  You will find that the
> "man", "info" and "help" commands can be very useful in solving most of
> your command troubles.  Also entering your "help question" into a
> search-engine such as http://www.google.com will often yield success.

I would second this, while of course not discouraging questions to the
list.  I have found, as an admin, that knowing everything is neither
desirable or even possible, but to know *where* to find what you need is
vital.
With this in mind, I would direct you to the apropos command.  It searches
the manpath and returns the name sections of any manpages which contain
the word you're searching for.

For example, see the name section of the manpage for the man command.

man(1)                                                     man(1)

NAME
       man - format and display the on-line manual pages
       manpath - determine user's search path for man pages

can be found by typing such things as

apropos pages
apropos manpath

You may want to pipe this output through a pager like less or similar as
the output can be quite long if your search is general, but you can then
use the less search facility to help you a little more.

I find this command invaluable, even if it produces a lot of extraneous
output.

HTH

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808