questions

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Mon Apr 1 10:16:04 EST 2002

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Toby Fisher wrote:

> With this in mind, I would direct you to the apropos command.  It searches
> the manpath and returns the name sections of any manpages which contain
> the word you're searching for.

Uh0-oh, now here's a case in point.  If I'd actually looked at the man
page for the apropos command, I'd know that it actually searches the
whatis database, which is why sometimes results can be more wide-ranging
than one might expect, but it still works just the same. *grin*
Also, apropos was written back in 1991, and I do believe it is a standard
unix command, it certainly works on the Solaris and Ultrix b oxes I've
used.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808