trouble with CVS and a request for votes

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Thu Sep 27 11:59:08 EDT 2001

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> Only when all known bugs are totally iliminated, should speakup come out
> as 1.0.

I think that if you wish to use this system, then perhaps it is the thing
to do would be to pull the cut and paste out and name it 1.0. If you have
software that is constantly under revision and addition then you will
never have a place where no problems ever exist. This is the very thing
that Linus pointed out when they moved up to the 2.0 kernel. He said that
yes,bugs still exist. But they will always exist. At least they are
admitted. My suggestion would be to make 1.0 the curent one if the hooks
remain in the kernel. Then when modularized synths become solid go on to
1.01 or something to signafy the difference.

Going to a 1.0 version or higher will help make speakup an accepted part
of the code base. And the marker that the hooks are in the kernel all the
time seems like a logical reason to say that it has made the marker.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missle at
a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive."
	- President George Bush