Lynx and SSL

Adam Myrow myrow at eskimo.com
Tue Sep 25 18:55:07 EDT 2001

Don't know why everybody is having problems getting Lynx 2.8.4.  Start
Lynx at http://lynx.browser.org, hit enter on the first link, and you get
distribution sites that carry lynx 2.8.4 even though the link says 2.8.3.
All you need for 2.8.4 is to add "--with-ssl" to the configure command.
I would carefully read the install file that comes with it, as there are
some really nifty features that aren't enabled by default.  It's possible
with a really long command line to make a Lynx binary that has all sort of
interesting features.  No problem compiling on Slack 8 for me, but many
others have claimed that stuff that used to compile won't anymore.  I've
never had a problem, but it may depend on what you compile.  I've compiled
Timidity, some utilities for my AWE64, XMP, and Linux kernels 2.4.9 and
2.4.10 with Slack 8 without a hitch.