a few things

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Thu Sep 6 16:04:04 EDT 2001

Crash recovery is one concern in my design. I almost had it right before,
and do now have it right. I know, because I had occassion to use my crash
recovery plan a few weeks ago when a resize operation went very very wrong
and I lost /usr and /home.

In my situation I was still able to boot in rescue mode. But, were that to
have also failed, I have my / partition in an image file on a floptical
orb disk which I create with dd. I would simply recreate the same size
partition and restore / from image. The rest, /usr, /home, lives in bzip'd
tar balls.

Let me say that I have fallen in love with dd. She's my hero. Recently I
was working on Windows installing like a fool. Well, as you well know,
speech support on Windows isn't as robust as speakup on linux. In
particular, the boot process and early application loading isn't
accessible on Windows. How Windows can be considered accessible under such
circumstances is beyond me, but that's a different email.

I found my Windows was just getting too wacky. Obviously something was
wrong, and I sure couldn't tell what. I was booting into safe mode, or I
was having boots die and auto restart the computer. Useless.

So, I went back into linux and mounted my orb drive. I popped in my orb
disk with Windows 98 on it and typed dd if=/orb/win98.img of=/dev/hda3.
Then I went and read mail for five minutes. Bingo. Windows was back to a
known, working state and I was able to have another go at installations. I
think 5 minutes for restoring a 1.7 gig partition is pretty darned good.
Sure beats the commercial Ghost software from Norton.

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp