Setting up a duel boot system?

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Tue Oct 30 08:45:42 EST 2001

Doug,

No you won't be able to get partitions greater then 2GB without enabling
large disk support. Here is the explaination. Previously MS used a
partition table consisting 16 bit descriptions for each sector. Each
sector could be as large as 32KB. If you count (in bianary) from all 0s to
all 1s you will come up with enough sectors that will hold 2GB of data in
32KB chunks.

Now for the pertinent news. This file system came out in late 96. Thus,
unless you want to run original win95, dos, or NT4, NT3.x this is of no
concern. When the warning was written it was true. It is no longer
true. Win2K also reads the new FAT32. So does linux and a host of
others. In fact, you can get the driver to make FAT32 (large disk
support) work in NT4.

Go ahead and say yes to the question. Put in the size you want from
windows and leave the room you want for Linux. All will go fine. Just keep
in mind that in the default means of installation Linux can see the
windows stuff, but not the other way around. You cna install Linux on a
dos partition, but you should go to the howtos for info on that. There are
people on the list who have done so. I haven't and won't comment on it as
a result.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missle at
a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive."
	- President George Bush