a problem with /dev/fd0

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Fri Oct 26 11:48:08 EDT 2001

YOu probably have floppy support compiled as a module
to check if your kernel knows about floppies cat /proc/devices
if it does not show up 2 fd in the block devices section you don't
have the module loaded modprobe floppy
or your kernel in fact does not have floppy support.

Regards, Kerry.
On Sat, Oct 27, 2001 at 09:06:41AM +1000, Shaun Oliver wrote:
> ok I'm sorry for my lack of detale .
> here is what happens.
> I run the makebootdisk command like this.
> makebootdisk /vmlinuz
> then I go through the steps of formatting the disk using the menu I'm
> presented with,
> that goes fine.
> then I go to create a lilo boot disk and it returns the affore mentioned
> error.
> any help would be greatlyt appreciated.
> thanks in advance.
>

> --
>

> Shaun
>
> I never made a mistake in my life.
> I thought I did once, but I was wrong.
>                 -- Lucy Van Pelt
>
> email: shauno at goanna.net.au
> icq: 76958435
>
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Frank Carmickle wrote:
>
> > Hi Shaun
> >
> > We need more details.  What do you mean your trying to create a
> > bootdisk?  What is returning you this output.
> >
> > On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Shaun Oliver wrote:
> >
> > > Hi guys.
> > > when I try to create a bootdisk for my recently compiled kernel, I get an
> > > error message saying:
> > > fatel: open /dev/fd0 no such file or directory
> > > I know I have the drivers for the floppy drive compiled in but I'm not
> > > sure what else to do.

Kerry Hoath: kerry at gotss.net kerry at gotss.eu.org or  kerry at gotss.spice.net.au
ICQ UIN: 8226547