DSL Providors

Ann Parsons akp at eznet.net
Sat Oct 20 17:03:59 EDT 2001

Hi all,

    Rodney> Ann I really like the "caveat emptor" expression.  I had
    Rodney> to use my dict linux dictionary to find the meaning and
    Rodney> just goes to show that a lot can be said in two words.

Glad you could find it.  It's actually not English.  It's Latin, and
roughly translated is:  buyer beware, or be warned.  a caveat is a
warning or caution.  Sometimes you'll see it in a sentence as the
first word followed by a comma, which is sort of like.  Warning,
danger ahead.

    Rodney> Thanks for the advice.  Hopefully they do not force me to
    Rodney> use the dashboard with all those glittering idiot lights.
    Rodney> I have yet to try DSL but I have been holding off till all
    Rodney> the pros and cons have been sorted through.  I'm wondering
    Rodney> if the telephone company will know that I'm talking about
    Rodney> when I ask them about this dashboard crap.

Well, ask them if the interface to the "modem" is by the web.  Or, "Is
the way I connect to the "modem", is that through the web?"  Or, "Do I
have to adjust or reset my DSL, and if I do, do I have to use the web
to do it?"  Use words of one syllable or less.  They might get it
then.

    Rodney> They might go
    Rodney> benarkey if I mention Linux.  It's caveat emptor time!

Yes, they may very well indeed go binarky if you mention Linux.  Best
not to confuse the poor little darlings.

--
			Ann K. Parsons
email:  akp at eznet.net 			ICQ Number:  33006854