strange question

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Mon Oct 1 14:55:11 EDT 2001

Hi, Deedra:

I have just send the speakup list a copy of my just concluded evaluation
of ssh clients for Windows. Now, I want to answer your note more directly:

Regretably, there seem to be no good Windows clients for remote console
access over SSH. But, there are several excellent DOS command line
clients. So, if the computer you will have access to can provide you
access to DOS in a way that works for you, get the Win32 download from:

	http://www.ssh.com

and install the command line functions and paths. The access you get
should be excellent for simple command line tasks. Access to utilities
like Pine may be more problematic, as there are cursor tracking issues
involved. Maybe it will be OK. I did not test Pine.

PS: In the course of looking around I installed the cygwin utilities.
These are absolutely wonderful. They are also quite up to date. I now have
a bash 2.05 and a lynx 2.8.4 with ssl support that run as PC Console
applications under Windows. Very cool.

PSS: Makes me think that trplayer may be portable to Win environments.
 On
Sat, 29 Sep 2001, Deedra Waters
wrote:

> This is probably the wrong list to ask this, and not really sure where to
> ask, but....
>
> I'm going out of town for a week and the only computer I'll have access to
> is a windows machine, does anyone know of an ssh client that would work
> well with speech for windows so I can access my home computer?
> if you do please write me off list so I don't end up dragging this topic
> out on the list.

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp