Linux and High speed accessability

Amanda Lee amanda at shellworld.net
Tue Nov 13 16:42:31 EST 2001

That's great as long as you don't need to route cable from floor to floor
as I would in the three-story townhouse I own and live in!  Looks like for
me that outside of the initial connection, that I'll have to go wireless
and that stops me almost in my tracks!  it's expensive and I'm not
convinced that I'll get very good speed throughout.  I also am concerned
about how to get it all talking to each of the boxes.  I did find an
interesting device which hooks into the USB port and then will talk via
think it's a 2.4Ghz signal or perhaps 900MHZ/forget which and would have
to look it up in the specs.  Does seem simple to put together though.
Still, it costs
nearly $100 per PC to do this.  We don'thave access to drop cable between
floors through the walls.  So only alternative with wired lan is to pull
up carpets and string that junk everywhere or drill holes in the floor
which I'm not keen on doing.

If any of you have used wireless methods and have found a solution which
are reliable and  won't break the bank! please let me  know.

Thanks!  -  Amanda Lee