Linux and High speed accessability

Terry Klarich terry at ki5zw.ampr.org
Tue Nov 13 15:28:57 EST 2001

Hello All:
These days, I would highly suggest getting one of the personal router products on the market.  They have a 10 m connection to
connect to a cable modem  or dsl device.  On the other side, there is usually a 4 port 100m switch you can use to build a local
network.  There are models with 56k modems built in as well.  Got mine off ebay for $25.

My home network is built using one of these personal routers.  Although, mine has an ISDN port for the wan connection.  I just have
the smtp and ssh ports opened up for external connections.  This is so I can both receive mail and log into my machine via ssh
remotely.

I wouldn't even mention I was using linux.  As long as you stay away from msn, aol ... etc you should be fine.  Most ISP's support
straight ppp with chap or pap.  This is all you need.  I would, however, try and get a static IP though

Terry
Terry Klarich  (KI5ZW)
A man is not complete until he is married; then, he is finished.
On Tue, 13 Nov 2001 14:47:15 -0330you write: