changing default speakup options at boot up

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Sun May 27 09:10:45 EDT 2001

Hi Mick:

Here's how you can lick the rate problem (this is where opensource comes
into its own).  Kirk, can you verify this before someone trashes their
system please?

Look in /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/speakup/speakup_dtlk.c line 244 (or
somewhere nearby) - it should read:

 {"rate", "5", "\x01_s", (NUMERIC|HARD_DIRECT|USE_RANGE), "0,9"},

Now as far as I see it, changing the value here should change the default
for the synth without breaking anything.  You'll see all the other defaults
for the doubletalk PC here too.  For anyone else wanting to see these for
other synths, it seems to be right down the bottom of the appropriate C
file.

OK, make the change then recompile.  Note that you should only have to do
'make bzImage' or whatever your big one was, and it probably won't
recompile much (only speakup), unless you do 'make clean' in which case
it'll take ages as usual.

Please wait for Kirk to give this the thumbs up before using this (I'm not
a C programmer and definitely not a kernel hacker.

As for shutting up the synth automatically, maybe there is somewhere in the
speakup code where the flag for numpad-enter could be set manually after
speech detection.  Any ideas where this would be, Kirk?

Geoff.