changing default speakup options at boot up

Mick mick at blindcity.com
Mon May 28 01:05:43 EDT 2001

Hi, my name is mick, I am 17 and have just got in to Linux  half way
through last year.
I started off with RedHat6.2 but now I am using Debian2.2 R2 with a 2.2.18
kernel with speakup0.10 patched in to it.
Now, I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas about how I can change
the default speed of speakup speach when it first boots up. I am aware that
you can put scripts in your /etc/rc.boot and rc2.d and all that, but I want
to have speakup talking right from the start at rate=9 (I have a double
talk pc internal)
What I would really like it to do, is when lilo has loaded the kernel, it
usually says "Double talk found linux version 2.2.18
root at hydrogengcc......." and all that, but it is in about rate=5 or something.
What I would like it to do is straight away say: "Speakup inisialised" then
for it to go straight to rate=9 then shut it up, unless I touch the
keyboard (same as pressing the number pad enter key)
If anyone has any ideas on how this could be achieved, please email me
"mick at blindcity.com"

I can right pretty good bash scripting, and understand about compiling
kernels now, and I am a perfisiant linux user, I have to be because I run
our home network, actually dad runs a business and he uses the network. but
I do not know C or C++ and all that.
Thanks
Mick
Mick Curran
email: mick at blindcity.com
WWW: http://electric.2y.net
ICQ UIN: 113763334

                           BLINDCITY
Linking together blind related sites across the world.
                   http://www.blindcity.com