software speech for speakup

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Thu May 17 18:53:47 EDT 2001

The whole thing is that a synth could be built on a single chip fitting
into the modular plug that is typically found on a USB cable. Or, it could
be placed in small box along with volume controls. The catch would be to
forego the power (and space) hungry speaker.

The PCMCIA synth sounds like a great idea also. In fact, my mind jumps to
enabling said device (and drivers) such that speech is started when it is
inserted. Then you can later shut down the speech output and remove the
device. Both of these technologies support hot swap. I don't have much
experiance with them in Linux, but in Windows a program can be launched on
insert. I would think Linux could support such as well.

If the technology was there, preasure could be exerted to make the server
room accessible to the blind.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

Nothing is hard if you know the answer or are used to doing it.