software speech for speakup

Stephen Dawes sdawes at gov.calgary.ab.ca
Fri May 18 09:58:29 EDT 2001

As a laptop user, I to like the idea of a PCMCIA card, but think that Kirk's
idea of a synth that fits into a USB module might be more practical and
flexible.  I don't know of a way of connecting a PCMCIA device to a desk
top, but know that current laptops support USB.  This would allow for
someone to use the same device in more then one settings.  At home on their
desktop, and with their laptop when travelling, or, just to put in their
pocket to use both at work and home on desktops.

Kirk, what kind of speech could you expect out of such a one chip does all
approach?  Secondly, correct me if I am wrong here, but can you not draw
your power from the USB port, and thus eliminating the need for the balky
power sources that currently drive speech synths?

Stephen Dawes B.A. B.Sc.
Web Business Office, The City of Calgary
PHONE:  (403) 268-5527. FAX: (403) 268-6423
E-MAIL ADDRESS:  sdawes at gov.calgary.ab.ca