ok guys here's a stipid question..

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Thu May 10 04:14:13 EDT 2001

On Tue, 8 May 2001, Shaun Oliver wrote:

> ok guys got it all sorted out now. I uncommented the line in
> /etc/rc.d/rc.modules to support the sblive
> now, how do I give the user shauno audio permissions?

OK, do:

ls -l /dev/dsp0

/dev/dsp should be a link to /dev/dsp0.  Look to see what group has access
to it.  If it's root, use chgrp to make it something else, like audio.
Probably a good idea to look in /etc/group to see if audio exists.  On my
system, /dev/dsp0 was owned by group audio by default.

Now, you want to make sure you have read/write access for root and audio,
but no-one else.  So you'd do something like this:

chmod 660 /dev/dsp0

or

chmod ug=rw,o= /dev/dsp0

This should give /dev/dsp0 permissions that look like crw-rw----

Now, all you need to do is put yourself in the audio group.  Edit
/etc/group and find the line that starts with audio.  It will look
something like this:

audio:x:29:

Put a comma-seperated list of users that you want to appear in this group
after the final colon, without spaces (this is very important or it won't
work).  So you'd put:

audio:x:29:shauno

You can verify that this has worked by issuing the groups command as that
user.  If you wanted more users there, you';d put a comma directly after
shauno and put the next name, no spaces.  e.g.

audio:x:29:shauno,geoff

Using these steps, root plus anyone in the group audio will be able to read
(i.e. record from) and write to (i.e. play) audio.  You'll probably want to
do the same with /dev/audio0 as well.

Hope this makes some sense.

Geoff.