please help, Linux unuseable after component upgrade

Gregory Nowak romualt at megsinet.net
Sun May 6 22:25:51 EDT 2001

        Hi all,

I was trying to run a program which required glibc-2.2, which my slackware
7.1 distro cd-rom didn't have. So, I got the sources for it and the linux
threads for the same version, and compiled them. Everything went fine, so
like the docs suggested, I rebooted into single user mode, and ran make
install in the glibc source directory without any problems. Then I rebooted,
and got the following at the end when the system hung.

"/sbin/agetty: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: version `GLIBC_2.2' not found (required
by /usr/local/lib/libc.so.6)
INIT: Id "c5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "c6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel"

I would boot zipspeak, mount my linux partition, and find out what's going
on. However I can't do that, because I don't have a boot disk with the 2.4.2
kernel which would have the hpt366 interface support built-in. I could
probably sit down, and compile a very basic one on a 100 MHz machine with 16
mb of RAM but that would take hours. Could someone either tell me if there
is a way to get passed this and login, or could someone with enough time on
there hands compile for me a bare kernel for the doubletalk pc with hpt366
ide chip set support built-in? Thanks a bunch.
Greg