FAQ gally2: Speakup Versions

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Sat Jun 30 08:50:23 EDT 2001

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001, Janina Sajka wrote:

> I think the business of speakup versions needs to be a little clearer. We
> mention that the current version is 0.10. Then, a few paragraphs below, we
> mention version 0.10a. So, the chickens come home to roost on poorly
> chosen numbering schemes--but that's not what I want to talk about ...
>
> The poine in the faq needs to be clear guidance. Ann, this is really very
> excellent so far, but I think it's important to say something up front
> such as:
>
> "There are two current versions of speakup. Which one you should use
> depends on what linux kernel version you have. To find out, issue this
> command:

This is not correct.  I will address the FAQ as it now stands in a seperate
message, but I want to clarify this point.  Speakup 0.10A is a bug-fix
release of 0.10.  That is to say, Kirk fucked up and put it out before it
worked 100% so he had to rerelease it.  This also happened to speakup 0.09
(in fact, we got to speakup 0.09B IIRC).  suggestion for the future: Put
out speakup-0.11beta1 and if it works, rename it to speakup-0.11 or if not,
keep putting out betas until its fixed.  Or RC1, RC2, etc.

What this means is that speakup 0.10A works on 2.2.18 and above, and
2.4.0test10 (IIRC) and above.  for kernel 2.2.17 and below (well as far
down as 2.2.7 I think), use speakup 0.09.

Geoff.