FAQ gally2: Speakup and Emacspeak

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sun Jun 17 11:46:38 EDT 2001

Before I dive into my comments re the treatment of speakup vs emacspeak in
the FAQ draft, let me again say that I'm very impressed, Ann, with the
quality of this writing. It's not easy to make technical documentation
clear. You've done a stellar job of it.

Now to my comments. I post them to the list, by the way, because I suspect
others may want to say something about this.

I really don't think we've done the speakup vs emacspeak issue justice.
The especially good at, and not especially good at business with telent
and ftp leaves me cold. But, it also doesn't address the more central
points, imho. So, let me suggest that:

The greatest strength of speakup is that it's very easy to learn to use it
once it's installed. In fact, for the most part, you'll just forget about
speakup and concentrate on the things you're doing in linux instead. For
example, you can surf the world wide web, and even play Real Audio and mp3
right from the command line.

The strength of emacspeak is the clever and powerful way that the audio
desktop works for blind users. The weakness of emacspeak is that there's a
lot of commands to learn before you can get good at it. If you already
know how to use emacs, you'll love emacspeak. If you don't know what that
is, you'll have a lot of learning to do before you'll feel comfortable
with emacspeak--though it's probably worth the effort.