Keymap problem maybe?

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at worldfront.com
Thu Jun 28 16:02:55 EDT 2001

When I originally compiled my 2.4.5 kernel with speakup patched in using
cvs, I chose my synthesizer in make config and also chose "y" for the
speakup keymap as default.  My keyboard worked fine, nothing unusual.
However, when my console-tools package was upgraded, I got the message
"looking for keymap to install: none".  I wondered about that but didn't
do anything about it since the keyboard was working.  However, I have now
also done a 2.4.5 kernel without speakup, for using emacspeak by itself,
for experimenting with festival, etc.  When I booted with this new kernel,
I immediately discovered that my "alt" key isn't working correctly.  This
is evidenced by the fact that I have to use escape instead of alt in
emacspeak to enter a command.  Also I don't appear to be able to change
consoles with alt-function keys.  Do I have to somehow install another
keymap?  And do I have to do something more about the speakup keymap,
since console-tools isn't finding any keymap?  I also had speakup and
non-speakup versions of 2.2.19 kernel and never had this problem before.

                              Cheryl