Keymap problem maybe?

Frank Carmickle frankiec at braille.uwo.ca
Fri Jun 29 09:00:27 EDT 2001

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Cheryl Homiak wrote:

> When I originally compiled my 2.4.5 kernel with speakup patched in using
> cvs, I chose my synthesizer in make config and also chose "y" for the
> speakup keymap as default.  My keyboard worked fine, nothing unusual.
> However, when my console-tools package was upgraded, I got the message
> "looking for keymap to install: none".  I wondered about that but didn't
> do anything about it since the keyboard was working.  However, I have now
> also done a 2.4.5 kernel without speakup, for using emacspeak by itself,
> for experimenting with festival, etc.  When I booted with this new kernel,
> I immediately discovered that my "alt" key isn't working correctly.  This
> is evidenced by the fact that I have to use escape instead of alt in
> emacspeak to enter a command.  Also I don't appear to be able to change
> consoles with alt-function keys.  Do I have to somehow install another
> keymap?  And do I have to do something more about the speakup keymap,
> since console-tools isn't finding any keymap?  I also had speakup and
> non-speakup versions of 2.2.19 kernel and never had this problem before.

Ok!  Well you had us all boggled until I carefully read your message
again!  If you make clean and recompile you should get a happy alt
key.  What happened was that speakup's keymap was undefined but no code
changed so the make process thought that the default keymap was up to
date.  So make clean and then rock&roll with the compile.

--
     Frank Carmickle
phone:     412 761-9568
email:     frankiec at dryrose.com