ripping

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Thu Jun 28 06:29:29 EDT 2001

Kerry suggested that Janina consider my wav file editor to split her big
CD image into separate tracks, but I am dubious it will do the trick
unaided - it relies on first pulling everything into memory - virtual
memory - i.e. ram plus swap space - and I doubt if Janina's system has
enough for that. Worse, if you want to split such an image into separate
parts, my editor does that in memory too, so you need twice the memory
that the image alone requires.

If it were my problem, I would use the 'dd' command to (1) discard  the 44
byte riff header, (2) divide the resulting ".raw" file into parts
sufficiently small to permit the wave editor to deal with them, and
(3) explore each part looking for track boundaries, finally (4) creating
individual .wav files for each track.

That makes Kerry's suggestion of getting the CD back and doing it over
again a mighty attractive alternative!

But it could be done the hard way.

Chuck

Visit me at http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh
The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (53% of Full)